Christmas Pop-Up – MFT Stamps

Welcome back to my blog! Thank you so much for being here. I’m sharing a card that almost didn’t get made. One disaster after another befell this card. You know when you make a mistake – like over splattering or inky finger prints or poor ink inkblending – and you try to fix the problem and only make it worse? Yep. That’s what happened to me. But, I’m fairly happy with the final result. I think I would have made a different interior for the exterior and vice versa, if I did it again. I highly recommend you ink blend and stamp the inside of the card first. Then do the card front. Then adhere the pop-up feature. Do as I say, not as I do lol.

I used the current sketch challenge #622 as inspiration. We’d love for you to play along! Create cards, scrapbook layouts, home decor, treat containers, mixed media, etc using this week’s sketch and be sure to link your project on the sketch challenge blog for a chance to win an MFT gift card.

  1. On a white card base, stencil MFT Blue Beyond ink through the Herringbone stencil on the front to mimic the sketch design.
  2. In the upper left corner, adhere two fishtail tags that were die cut from Ripe Raspberry and Cotton Candy cardstock. Layer the tags and trim the excess.
  3. Stamp and copic color several images for the outside and inside of the card using the YUZU Holly Jolly Santa stamp and coordinating die-namics.
  4. Stamp a sentiment on the card front and and add a Santa and the fireplace images above the sentiment.
  5. Inside the card, ink blend blue and purple ink randomly to create a galaxy-esque sky. Stamp several snowflakes with Blue Beyond ink, and splatter silver watercolor.
  6. Die cut the Pop-Up Surprise die-namics and adhere to the card fold. Adhere the other colored images on the pop-up. Adhere the reindeer on thin strips of acetate so they can float.
  7. Stamp another sentiment inside of the card.

Now that I’ve told you how to do the card correctly, I’ll give you a little insight into what went wrong and how I fixed it. It all started when I was ink blending the interior of the card. I ink blended after adhering the images on the front, which was mistake 1. As I was ink blending, I got an uneven blend because of the dimension on the front. So I tried to fix it by ink blending more. I added the purple ink as a way to mask some unevenness. As I added more ink, I didn’t wait long enough for it to dry. So I got my fingers all inky and left finger prints in multiple places. Mistake 2. The sand eraser was not working and I ripped the card slightly. Mistake 3. I tried to fix it with more ink blending and ink splatter. I ended up splattering too much and got ink all over the back of the card and the front of the card. Mistake 4. I tried to add more ink splatter to the card front in hopes it would blend in, but the splatters smeared. Mistake 5. I had to rip the Santa and fireplace that was already foam mounted off carefully and start the front over. I adhered the new front on top of my final card. I stamped the sentiment on the new card front too high up. Mistake 6.

Phew! I told you lol. The card is far from perfect, but I like the idea. Hope you do too. Thanks so much for reading and stopping by! Please stop by the MFT YouTube channel for more great (mistake-free LOL) tutorials.

Happy crafting,

I’d love to connect with you! Please follow me on IG and my blog, and reach out and say hi!